Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Trees -- The Good, Bad, and the Fake

We pulled out the Christmas tree this past weekend and plugged it in. I love having the lights already on the tree. It makes it so much easier to get straight to the decorating. Not that I don't love real trees. We had real trees when I was a kid, at least until the cat climbed up the tree one Christmas and took out a clock, the tree, and a few presents on the way down. Time for the fake one....When I was in college, we were forbidden from all things green and Christmasy, as they knew the college psyche for lack of care for anything other than one's self would likely result in the "tree" turning into a fire hazard. By the time I got to graduate school, it was time for a real tree again. I remember one Christmas when E, J, and I went hunting for a tree at the U-pick place in Ithaca. We got a little over zealous, as it took about an hour to cut it and even longer to cut the trunk down to fit into the holder. Things seem so much smaller when you're outside. When we put it in the house, it was like it was spring loaded. It barely fit, but it was pretty. The cats, of course, saw this as a new toy. Drinking from the stand, attempting to eat whatever ornament was closest, and chewing on the branches (Charlie...) was par for the course. The house smelled wonderful. It reminded me of childhood. The "pine" air fresheners somehow just don't cut it....


Our tree this year.....


We finished pulling out our ornaments and putting them on the tree. We listened to Christmas music (Vince Guaraldi -- Charlie Brown Christmas is a favorite) and told little stories about some of the ornaments as we were putting them up. We like to pick them up as we travel. We have quite a collection from NM now, as well as some from the Maine, Wyoming, the San Juans, Quebec, Spain, and Alaska (thanks Aunt A). My favorite, however, as the ones that my mom gave me as I left home. There's the tin soldier my Grandmother made, the bird's nest we used to put in our tree every year (a Swedish custom that brings the family good luck), and the gold star of Jinx my first cat to name a few. I have to carefully remove the old hooks from a few of them, as getting stuck with any of them would have required a fresh tetanus shot.



E put up lights around the front of the house today. Although we wanted to put some up on the facing of the house, we decided that our 2 step ladder just wasn't going to cut it and it was getting dark.....perhaps next year.

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. It's when you're snow bound (although this is the first time in my adult life I haven't lived in a cold and snowy winter climate), you are relaxing with friends and family, and celebrating just being in one another's company. It's hot cocoa, too many marshmallows, putting up the tree, listening to carols. I'm a sucker for all except the run over by a reindeer one and the song with the dogs barking in time to "Jingle Bells." My family always had clam chowder on New Year's Eve and then headed to midnight service (which was actually at 9 pm or so).

We're heading to New Mexico this year to spend the holidays with E's family. All his siblings will be there. We're very excited to see everyone and can't wait for the trip.

No comments: