Thursday, June 11, 2009

Kitty Detective = Water Leak

Oscar made a discovery of sorts this morning. Yes, I usually just use initials on this site but 1) he's a cat and 2) his initials would be OB. I don't know about you, but for me this strikes up visions of feminine hygiene products. So, we'll go with Oscar.

I needed to run over and get something out of the other bathroom this morning. As usual, Oscar came dashing with me. I think he was fish in his former life. He LOVES water -- head first, playing in the bathtub water. Odd, yes, he really is a cat in his current life.

I usually ignore the morning requests to turn on the faucet for a little kitty play time as I did this morning. Giving up, he jumped down to the floor. Shortly thereafter I hear liking and he came out from behind the toilet (yes, my microbiology side shivered) with a wet face. I didn't see any water on the floor. Then I looked again. Hmmm. We have slate floors, which are porous. The toilet tank was slowly dripping onto the floor. It looks like the trim got a little water. The floor is fine and the dry wall looks fine too. However, looks can be deceiving. The ceiling on the first floor is fine, but there's also a big buffer between the 2nd and 1st floor (we've got 18 foot ceilings in that part of the house). So....not sure what we'll do about this. Seems like just when one thing gets taken care of, the next goes.

Alas, at least I can now say it's my drip instead of calling the negligent landlord who let us go for quite a while without A/C because she was too cheap to call someone into fix it.

We can thank our little kitty detective and his love of water for "sniffing" this one out for us.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

It's amazing how smart what we terms as "pets" can be. Pumkin will exhibit the same levels of cognitive reasoning... you just have to know how to interpret their way of communicating to us. Neat blog.

Nuclear Mom said...

Yay Oscar!

Lucky likes water too. As a kitty he would fall in the bath with the kids and I was a touch concerned that he never seemed to be in a hurry to get out. Now he sits on the side of the tub taunting them to get them to splash him - and just maybe he will slip into the tub. But the splashing doesn't concern him. And the cat can't just take a drink of water he has to immerse himself in the dog's bowl... he makes a bigger mess of the dog water than the dogs do!

esanch said...

ok, now here is the real funny thing, we grew up with a dog that HATED water! And now we have a cat that loves it?!?!?!?!?