Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow, Ice, and Sleet - Oh My!

I grew up in snow. Real snow storms. Wyoming snow. The kind that snow feet and they still don't consider cancelling school. I remember skiing (yes - skiing) on our cross-country skis into town when weather hit and staying with friends. It was like camping out, except we still had school. You just knew how to drive, walk, shovel, and generally navigate in the stuff. Only when the winds kicked up and you had complete white outs did things start to get dicey.



Even when we moved to OH and I later to upstate NY, we still have snow. Lots of snow. Lake effect where storms would often be measured in feet. I love the stuff. Cut my teeth driving a 4x4 Bronco II (forerunner to the 1st generation Ford Explorer back when it was the size of the Ford Escape). The stores didn't loose their supplies of bread, milk, and toilet paper.



So I have to chuckle when I see the great lengths that people go to when we get storms here. An inch of snow results in 2 hour delays. Sometimes cancellations. We're supposed to get 4-6 inches tomorrow - Friday. I predict a mass extinction of toilet paper, milk, and bread over the next few days....

No comments: