Monday, May 3, 2010

Lingual Regionalisms

Although I was born in WA state, my family moved to Virginia when I was three, to Wyoming by the time I was six, then OH when I was 13.  This, compounded with my move to NY for graduate school a return to VA for post graduate work qualified me for a whole host of lingual regionalisms.

In the NW, things are "spendy."  On the East Coast, it's "pricey."   A bag in NW is a "bag,"  while on the East Coast, it's a "sack."

I was also broken of the habit of calling a carbonated beverage a pop when I moved from OH to NY.  It's a "soda."  Back in WA, it's back to pop, although I still can't bring myself to call it pop anymore.

Tennis shoes, coffee, and even jeans all have different lingo.  Just funny how we get into a habit and when challenged with a new way of doing things, will either go with the flow or stick to what we know.

I've pretty much transitioned to to the "WA state way,"  with the exception of soda and pricey.  Perhaps this, too, will change with time.

No comments: