Monday, August 10, 2009

Science is Fun!

ES and I headed down to spend the day in Portland on Saturday.  Our visit stop was to see Grandma, who is as fiery as ever despite being a quite a bit weary in body.  She was having a pretty good day and we all got to visit outside on the back patio.

My dad picked up tickets to OSMI for us – The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.  I hadn’t been there since I was a kid.  I love Science museums or really anything that makes science interesting and “cool” while still getting csipeople interested (and teaching them something too).  The special exhibit was CSI:  The Experience.  Saw a few things that were a little familiar to me…I explained some of the biology and chemistry tests to my parents (at least all that science education has come in handy).

ES and I goofed around at the thermal imaging exhibit and tried our hand as “weather people” and the green screen.  I really thought if you were wearing green, it wouldn’t work and you’d blend into the screen (or at least the part of you that was green…).  I was wearing a green sweater, but no such luck!

greenscreen3greenscreen2 thermal imaging 

We saw the OMNI Max picture “Adrenaline Rush,” in which I actually had to shut my eyes about 15 min in.  I was getting so dizzy watching those guys parachute over and over and over again.

We took a stroll along the waterfront and spotted the hotel ES and I had our wedding reception at – The RiverPlace Hotel in Portland.  Highly recommended if you’re coming to the rents  hotel reception The Rose City.

We finished out the day at a vunderbar German restaurant.  We had fresh pretzels (with really hot spicy mustard!) and snitchzel.  Excellent dinner.

rest1

2 comments:

Terry said...

Eric, you look like a natural as a forecaster! LOL!

I visited the OMSI in 1996when the Society of Women Engineers held their annual meeting there. It was awesome! Rob will want to see it when we eventually make it up to the Pacific Northwest to visit you guys.

Mike and Kris said...

Sounds fun! Thanks for putting in details of your weekends for us - we like to live vicariously through you guys sometimes! haha