Thursday, April 8, 2010

ID, please

If asked to name one picture of themselves that never turns out well, 99.9% of people asked will say "my drivers licence photo." It's inevitable. A poorly trained "photographer" taking a picture in poor lighting (usually fluorescent) and with a digital type camera. Somehow the photos always seem to highlight the bags under my eyes, the wrinkles near my mouth, and the overall roundness of my face. In a word - awful. I once had someone tell me, "jeez, this doesn't look anything like you." Not sure if that was a compliment or an insult.

All that being said, as I came across an of ID that I actually like when I was fishing out my insurance card today. It's my old graduate school ID. In big letters across the top it still stays student. The card was never dated, but I think the picture was taken about 12 years ago. I love this picture. Perhaps it was the fact it was when I had great hair. Or maybe it was when I had those really cool glasses that I ended up leaving in Lord and Taylor dressing room only to find they'd been "claimed" by someone else when I traced back my steps a few hours later. Perhaps it was good lighting. Whatever it was - call it good lighting, being favored by the camera gods, or maybe just a good day - but I love that photo.

And I have to admit, yes, I still carry it about in my wallet.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Hey guys, I like the way your blog has come along. I hope your dad gets better soon. In the meantime, keep posting and keep blogging.

-Pat

SAB said...

Rachel- you ALWAYS look great- I am envious of your fabulous skin and beautiful chesnut hair!! Love you and miss yoU! I also have a current ID that I love and don't ever want to lose! It was pre-baby and pre-bags under my eyes! xo

Nuclear Mom said...

One time someone checking my ID said, "wow, those driver's license pictures are just never very good". Umm yeah. No tip for you.