Sunday, August 10, 2008

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Programming

We'll we've finally gotten a bit chunk of the boxes unpacked, with many thanks to my parents for their help. The kitchen is unpacked and we've been able to sleep in our own bed for the past week and a half. We've only gotten about half of a dozen or so left (all books and can't get unpacked until we get more book cases...) to go and are like we're starting to settle in. There's an odd sense of appreciation and ownership that overtakes one (at least the case for us) that we have a new found sense of home. Not just a place we are paying for (aka renting), but rather a place that we have a sense of roots in. It was a big step for either of us to make the leap to buying a house, given that we'd both been serial renters for so very long. It's a nice feeling coming home to that just it, our home. When we go out and stake the tomato cages or water the flowers, they are our. What a great feeling, although you all out there (our family and friends) have all taken the plunge and bought a house so we've not likely telling you anything new. It's just our new to us. At least for awhile. Kinda of like new car smell. Great for awhile, but then you realize that it starts to fade away and you find a rhythm. I'm sure it will be like that for E and I with our new home.

E went through the house and some pics -- they are below. We hope that you'll all be able to come up and see us sometime. While the Tri-Cities is a bit off the beaten path, we've got a lot to offer.


Our still pretty empty Living Room...Perhaps in the next year or so we'll get some additional furniture...





Our new Dining Room. The small table in the entry way is from J and E (my maid of honor at the wedding). J made it for us as a wedding present.



Note the lamp in the right hand corner here. My dad made it from an old surveyor's tripod and an antique lamp shade he found at a tag sale. It's even prettier when lit up.

Our new Family Room....Many of our pictures on the walls are from my Aunt. We finally have enough wall space to put them up.
Our little eat in kitchen area.

Our office, which is covered on 3 of the 4 walls with books. Somehow either E nor I can seeming part with a book. We've got many years of them between us, which is necessitating a trip to IKEA to pick up some more inexpensive shelves. The trick is to find more wall space for them.



Here's a final wave from E. He's fixing the part of the banister the movers dinged with our dresser. It's all still a work in progress, but coming along.

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Looks great! It is so nice reading your excitement and takes me back to that point when we first bought our house.

And I remember that phase of stark lack of furniture and thinking how I was forced into being a minimalist when we bought SUCH a HUGE house (as compared to our rentals)... now I wonder what exploded all over my house and why we went with such a small house...

Terry said...

Wow! Looks wonderful! Rob and I will definitely schedule a visit.

Eric, I recognized Mom's dinette set, the poster that I gave you, and the jazz musicians painting that I gave you. What an honor to have them on the walls in your new home!

It took me about a year and a half to finally realize that our home was our own digs, and not someone else's property. I realized that it was up to us to do more than just put up curtains and hang pictures. So, we took down the old "contractor's stock" fixtures and put up our own. Now the house really is feeling like a home - squatter spiders and all! (Too bad we can't charge them rent.)

Rob has turned into a yard putterer, too. The flower beds are a riot of color. My flower beds are not doing quite so well, probably because of the location, availability of sunlight, and other stuff beyond my control. My caladiums went bananas the first year, so I think next year I am going to plant caladiums and coleus.

Take care, you two! Enjoy!