Thursday, September 18, 2008

Comfort Food....And anniversaries

I wasn't feeling so well on Sunday and decided to make a batch of Cowboy Casserole. Total comfort food. Reminds me of cooking as a little girl with my mom. I think this recipe came out of a compilation my elementary school put together and sold. One without any pictures, which for this recipe would actually be a good thing. It doesn't really have any visual appeal, but the stomach has a different story. Before I tell you what it is, I should preface the recipe with the following: don't knock it till you try it. I've made this for several friends, many of whom were skeptical at first. Once they tried it, they were sold.

Cowboy Casserole
2 large cans of baked beans (variety of your choosing)
1 lbs of ground beef
dash of onion powder
1-2 tbsp of worshishire (sp?) sauce
1-2 tbsp of BBQ sauce
~12 fresh biscuits (or canned if you're low on time)
2-3 c. of cheddar cheese

Brown the meat. Sprinkle in onion powder and a little salt and pepper to taste. Drain the meat. Pour meat into large casserole dish. Dish in BBQ and worshishire (sp?) sauce. Stir in the 2 cans of beans. Stir in about 1/2 of the cheese. Cover the dish and bake at 350 for about 30 min or so or until the mixture is hot and bubbly. Take out of the oven and place the biscuits on top. Place on half of the remaining half of cheese. Bake until biscuits are browned and cook through (~12-15 min). Take out of the oven and immediately sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.

Pure comfort food heaven.

It was fortunate that I made it on Sunday, as I started feeling crummier as the week went on -- nursing along a cold compounded by allergies. The sagebrush or something equally evil is blooming and taking aim at my head.

We post-poned our anniversary celebration until later this week. Thanks to all for the well wishes. Two years has just flown by!

4 comments:

SAB said...

Thanks for posting-- this stuff is yummy! I remember when you made it for us in Ithaca! This will be added to the Bornstein recipe book! I hope you feel better! Thinking of you, love, sheila

Nuclear Mom said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! Colds just suck.

My comfort food is tuna fish casserole. I can't make it often because Hans complains.

And happy anniversary!

Terry said...

The casserole sounds good! I'll try it sometime.

Allergies - aargh! We have had our share of allergens flying around here, mostly mold. The weather reports in NM say that the allergen count is sky-high when it is up around 400 grains per m^3 of air. Here, we NEVER go below a total of 800!

Hope you are feeling better by now.

Love,
Terry

scoutie said...

hey there,
you know I love, love this stuff. thanks for posting it. love your pics too and glad you are feeling better.
e