Monday, September 29, 2008

Tapas Dinner Party

We had friends over this past weekend for an evening of tapas and wine. I spent the day cooking -- it was wonderful. I pulled out recipes from my many tapas books and I ended up making 8 different dishes:
shrimp with bousin, basil, and prosciutto
egg and potato omelet
lemon chicken (visually unappealing but tasted OK)
smoked salmon blinis
olive tapanade
prosciutto and manchego/Parmesan wrapped in phyllo dough
baked tomato nests (which sound much better than the name implies...)
blanched almonds (which I forgot to put out...)

Our friends brought wine and homemade nectarine pie and focchia bread. All very good. We ended up sitting at the table and lingering a little longer than anticipated so as to not get a chance to play our newly gifted version of Cranium, but another time.

The kitchen didn't fare too well, but after 2 loads in the dishwasher and many rounds of hand washing, it's finally looking back to normal.

My Aunt would have been proud. I pulled out the Polish dishes (even the Espresso cups) and used these at dinner.

All in all a wonderful night of visiting and enjoying a meal together. Can't wait to do it again - although I'll probably be a little less ambitious on the number of things I try and tackle....

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

It truly was fabulous! Everything tasted wonderful. As you know I LOVED the tomatoes. The shrimp, as usual, were wonderful as well! I ate WAY too much!

Thanks for the great night!

VLB said...

It was wonderful. The shrimp is my favorite, but those tomatos were outstanding... And you have a beautiful home!