Sunday, September 21, 2008

Re-arranging already

Moving is a great opportunity to cull one's possessions -- giving away usable clothes, dishes, linens, books, etc that are no longer wearable or needed. We'd planned to make our big move something this fall. However due to circumstances beyond our control, our timetable got moved up by several months. It all worked out in the end, as we found a house we truly love. The flip side, however, is that we packed in a short period of time and didn't have much of a chance to really clean out/give away items we didn't need anymore...Fast forward to the past few weeks. We have been going through our respective closets -- especially me who still have her favorite Benetton sweater from 9th grade. Ok, so maybe I can't wear it, but it is still so cool....about 20 years too late!

I took a deep dive and really gave away A LOT of clothes. 4 bags worth. Make that 4 large plastic bags worth. They all went to St. Vincent DePaul so that someone can get a second use out of them. Many of these pieces held lots of memories, which is perhaps why I was holding on to them. There was the rain jacket I wore all through Grad school. Ithaca had it's fair share of rain, but it was starting to look a little ragged and needed to go to the "give pile." I finally gave up (to the dust bin I'm afraid) my favorite pair of black sketcher type shoes. However, the while trim was now a dull brown and the soles were splitting from the rest of the shoes. I always tell myself I'm going to buy 2 pair of my favorite shoes and keep the 2nd in reserve. So far I haven't quite done it. Perhaps now I will.

E did his fair share of thinning out his stuff too. We also tackled the garage a couple of weekends ago. We finished unpacking the last of the boxes. I need to figure out how/what to do with all the childhood mementos, travel trinkets, and other assorted items (ribbons, charms, stamps, etc) that we've each compiled in separate boxes. Each is rather a mismash of things thrown haphazardly into a Rubbermaid bin and stored on the shelf. Perhaps one day when I have some down time I'll start to organize those.

We pulled out items to sell and need to get other items put up and away (hanging the bikes). I found a few more items I hadn't seen in several years, as they were packed up and squirreled away in our old house (less than 1/2 the size of our new place) and hadn't see the light of day since VA.

I've already started moving some of the pictures around the house. I think in our zeal to move in and make it feel like "home," we put things up on the walls perhaps a bit too soon. Now that we've had a bit of time to reflect, we've been playing musical walls. It's just a nice feeling to know that they are our walls. If we put a hole or two in them, it's not like we'll loose our deposit.

What a difference a little piece of paper like a deed makes.

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Let me know when you figure out something to do with all the knick knacks. I have so many little things from travel and stuff. But I am not even a knick knacky type of person! Still they are memories and I am struggling with what to do with that stuff. (I have a dresser top full in my Master Bedroom that I need to tackle in the next few weeks - I fear it will be Rubbermaid-ville for the time being...)

Terry said...

It is fun to have your own digs, isn't it? Funny the effect it has on people.

Before we moved in, Rob declared that he detested yard work. Then, the spring after we moved in, I bought some petunias and planted a few here and there among the bushes in the front. Rob was bitten by the petunia bug, and he has taken great pride in his pet petunias. We had two plants that put out over 100 blossoms and spread out like crazy! When they get to that size, they are a carpet of color.

Next year, I think I will plant a hardy hibiscus in the back.

I have also discovered "Freecycle" to give away usable items. I have even given away scraps of fabric and used padded mailing envelopes!

Take care, you two. God bless.

Terry