Saturday, February 27, 2010

Holy Mola! Part #2

About 8 years ago, but Aunt gave me some pieces of art and paintings for my condo when I moved not far from her in D.C. One of the pieces of art was a mola. These are traditional handworks of the Panamian Kuna Indians. The pieces are often of animals, but sometimes they are of more abstract shapes. They are often colorful and are shown into clothing (especially women's shirts). Soon, our mola collection grew. My parents gave us one. ES's dad gave us 2 that he used to have in his office. We found some along the way too in antique stores, auctions, ect. We've been putting them "up the wall" in our entry way. We've now gone up about as far as I think we'll go, courtesy of our friend's little giant ladder. The orange and yellow ones are the latest finds....

1 comment:

Nuclear Mom said...

My Panama bag!!

Long story, but we ended up in Panama for a night nearly 10 years ago on our honeymoon. I had a little time in the hotel gift shop before heading out and I wanted something "from Panama", so I spent $20 US on a handmade bag with one of these designs. I never knew what they were.