Monday, February 15, 2010

Old Photos and New Faces

ES and I spent the weekend visiting family, with the aims of visiting my father (recovering from surgery) and finalizing details of my grandmother's funeral service. One of the few things left to do is sort through boxes and boxes of old photos from my grandmothers house. We spent hours going through 1000s of photos, many of which I'd not seen before. We ended up spliting up many of the photos between kids, siblings, and cousins.

It was like seeing a window into someone's life where you'd always pictured them as something else.....I saw photos of my grandmother as a little girl, holding a dog and standing in a field. Turns out, as my father told me, my grandmother's family had a nut farm, a general store, and an few oil derricks. I saw photos of a young women in junior high, in what I can imagine was the same set of akward stages her granddaughter would go though. Later there were pictures of a wedding, her children, her job. Grandma was always grandma to me. Now I see snippets of the woman she was too.

Other finds:
A photo of my parents heading out on their honeymoon - "just married" on the side of their VW and my mom wearing her Jackie O pill box hat, gloves, and red suit
A photo of my grandparents dancing and kissing - a la WWII times square sailor and nurse. Dip and all.
A photo of me and my brother in what I think is my crib when I was under 2 and my brother 4.
My parents, brother, and I when we were young. And my father had no facial hair.

Now what to do with all these photos....I'm not really a big scrapbooker, so I think I'll find some archival storage boxes for now. Project for next month? And I need to buy a scanner.....

No comments: